Investment in innovative process will improve air quality and create 11 jobs
The Government of Canada is committed to supporting companies as they develop and adopt innovative clean technology solutions to invest in the future and protect our planet.
Today, Filomena Tassi, Member of Parliament for Hamilton West–Ancaster–Dundas, announced that the Government of Canada, through FedDev Ontario’sInvesting in Business Innovation initiative, will invest up to $400,000 in Advanced Technology Emission Solutions (ATES) Inc. This announcement was made on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) and Minister responsible for FedDev Ontario.
The project will allow ATES Inc. to commercialize its Smart Induction Catalyst (SI-CAT) technology, which reduces vehicle emissions by rapidly heating the catalytic converter, allowing it to operate more effectively. As a result of this project, ATES Inc. is expecting to create up to 11 jobs.
FedDev Ontario’s contribution builds on the recent announcement by Minister Bains of an $11.5-million investment to support six new automotive projects through ISED’s Automotive Supplier Innovation Program (ASIP). ATES Inc. will be receiving an additional $272,000 through ASIP to further develop its SI-CAT technology.
“Protecting the environment and growing the economy go hand in hand. Our Government is proud to support Hamilton’s Advanced Technology Emission Solutions Inc. to use innovation to tackle critical environmental issues and improve air quality in our communities.”
– Filomena Tassi, Member of Parliament for Hamilton West–Ancaster–Dundas
“The Government of Canada is committed to protecting this planet, and recognizes the economic opportunities associated with clean growth. This investment is helping Advanced Technology Emission Solutions Inc. to scale-up, while demonstrating how innovation can be used to make life better for our citizens, now and in the future. This is truly a great example of the Government’s Innovation and Skills Plan in action.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
“We are proud to be supporting the value chain of employment here in Canada. Through the efforts of a team of highly qualified people, the challenges we face are being overcome and the confidence of the auto industry is growing. As an early stage innovation company focused on commercializing a next generation emissions technology, ATES could not have achieved the momentum we are experiencing without the support of the Government of Canada.”
– Anthony Hardenne, President & CEO, Advanced Technology Emission Solutions Inc.
- Advanced Technology Emission Solutions Inc., founded in 2012, is headquartered at the McMaster Automotive Resource Centre (MARC) in Hamilton, which was funded in part by an $11.5-million contribution from FedDev Ontario.
- Catalytic converters are important for emissions control, but can take several minutes to warm up sufficiently to be fully effective. The SI-CAT technology heats the catalytic converter to working temperatures within seconds, resulting in a reduction of toxic emissions.
- Today’s announcement is in line with the commitment for Regional Development Agencies to double annual support for clean technology to $100 million per year.
- FedDev Ontario’s repayable contribution will leverage up to $800,000 from accredited members of the Georgian Angel Network, and from the MaRS Investment Accelerator Fund.
Photo from: www.mckinsey.com
Leave a Reply