TORONTO, /CNW/ – Zellers is pleased to announce a comeback for the ages. Zeddy, the beloved stuffed bear that captured the hearts of Canadians for decades, is back in plush form and available for purchase in-store starting Friday, October 27th, and online beginning October 30th.
And just when you thought your heart could not get any warmer, with every purchase of Zeddy at $15, $5 will go to support Zeddy’s amazing friends at Campfire Circle, a charitable organization that brings healing through happiness to kids with cancer or serious illness and their families. Zeddy has been part of the Campfire Circle family since 2012, following a nation-wide contest to find him a new home at the time. Campfire Circle (formerly Camp Ooch & Camp Trillium), was voted on and chosen by Canadians, and they welcomed him with open arms.
With his family now encompassing both Zellers and Campfire Circle, Zeddy’s heart is full. He retains his signature big eyes and infectious grin, and his nostalgic yellow shirt has transitioned to a vibrant Zellers red, featuring the new typeface. Standing tall at approximately 15 inches, Zeddy radiates undeniable adorableness, making him an irresistible companion for cuddles.
“When we announced that Zellers would open stores inside Hudson’s Bay locations, the number one request across the country was to Bring Back Zeddy!,” says Sophia Hwang-Judiesch, President, Hudson’s Bay. “So many Canadians grew up with Zeddy, not only the plush toy version, but also Zeddy the mascot who visited hospitals, attended special events and hosted birthday parties. We’re so excited to continue his support of Campfire Circle and bring Zeddy back with a purpose.”
“We’re so grateful for the support of Zellers and their customers who are helping to bring healing through happiness to kids with cancer or serious illness and their families across Ontario,” says Alex Robertson, CEO, Campfire Circle. “The funds raised through the purchase of Zeddy bears will support our programs that improve kids’ overall well-being, help them build resiliency, and develop life-long friendships.”
- Zeddy’s extraordinary journey began in 1986 when he was born on a frosty, clear day in the woods of Northern Canada. He made his first appearance at a Zellers store in Winnipeg. Very quickly he became a beloved and cherished figure.
- Zeddy’s look has evolved over time – from a plush white sweater in the ’90s, then switching to a bright yellow sweater in the 2000s, Zeddy’s charm endured. Now, in 2023, Zeddy returns with a brand new look, sporting a vibrant Zellers red shirt, featuring an updated typeface.
- What sets Zeddy apart is not just his charming appearance but his enduring commitment to spreading joy. In his initial years, Zeddy was a staple in Zellers stores, delighting children and families wherever he went. He brought smiles to birthday parties, made hospital and school visits, and participated in various community and charitable events.
- “Zeddy Banks” at cash registers encouraged customers to donate pocket change to support children’s charities across the country.
- Zeddy also embraced special campaigns and events, from sporting hockey jerseys to donning a Santa Claus costume with a beard. He even wore a custom astronaut suit for the annual “Zellers Moonwalk,” which raised funds for the now-named Cystic Fibrosis Canada.
SOURCE The Bay