Intergovernmental cooperation will support projects developed jointly by Francophone organizations from both provinces
TORONTO and QUÉBEC — Today, the Ontario and Québec governments launched a call for submissions under their Cooperation and Exchange Agreement with Respect to the Francophonie. The application period is now open and will close on July 16, 2021.
Under this interprovincial agreement, Ontario and Québec, together, are investing up to $500,000 to support projects developed jointly by Francophone organizations in both provinces that will encourage the development of the Francophone culture, leverage economic opportunities, and enhance mutual understanding between Quebecers and Franco-Ontarians.
“This Agreement between the government of Québec and the government of Ontario with respect to the Francophonie speaks to a long tradition of collaboration between our two provinces,” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Francophone Affairs. “This Québec-Ontario program will contribute to the vitality of Francophone communities in Ontario and will strengthen cooperation between our two provinces.”
“I am proud to contribute, through this joint initiative, to the strengthening of relations between Franco-Ontarians and Quebecers in areas that are priorities for the Government of Québec. On the eve of the Sommet sur le rapprochement des francophonies canadiennes, I invite organizations in Québec and Ontario to take advantage of this new opportunity to create collaborations that will advance the Francophonie and the French language in Canada. A strong and united Canadian Francophonie benefits everyone!” said Sonia LeBel, Québec Minister Responsible for Canadian Relations and the Canadian Francophonie.
Projects must contribute to life in French in Canada and be developed jointly by an applicant and a co-applicant from Ontario and Québec. They must be implemented by March 31, 2022. While the selection committee will consider a wide range of projects, economic development, culture, education and tourism will be prioritized.
- Applications must be submitted through the Government of Québec website (available in French only) from June 9 to July 16, 2021. Projects must be implemented between September 15, 2021 and March 31, 2022.
- Franco-Ontarian organizations must partner with a Québec organization to develop an eligible project and create a profile in the partner registry on the Government of Québec website (available in French only).
- As announced in the 2021 Budget, Ontario is investing $250,000 annually over three years to support interprovincial projects as part of the Ontario-Québec Cooperation and Exchange Agreement with Respect to the Francophonie.
- As part of this agreement, Quebec is committed to matching Ontario’s investment in project support, bringing Québec’s investment to $250,000 annually for the next three years. The Québec portion of the funding is administered through the government of Québec’s Programme d’appui à la francophonie canadienne (available in French only).
- On May 20, the Ontario and Québec governments also announced the creation of the new Ontario-Québec Francophonie Trade Award that will highlight Francophone businesses actively engaged in economic exchanges between the two provinces.
SOURCE Province of Ontario