GUELPH – The Government of Ontario is launching the 2023 Excellence in Agriculture program to showcase the outstanding efforts, innovations, and achievements across the agriculture and food sector. The program recognizes individuals, businesses, and organizations that drive the industry forward, adopt new technologies and increase awareness across Ontario’s agri-food value chain.
“Ontario’s agriculture and food industry includes some of the most dedicated and innovative individuals provincewide,” said Lisa Thompson, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. “The Excellence in Agriculture Awards will give recognition to the people in these industries that go above and beyond, setting the standard and leading by example to ensure we can continue to Grow Ontario!”
This initiative will celebrate innovations and advancements that benefit farmers, processors, industry organizations, and people and businesses across the sector. Ontario’s agriculture and food industry is built on a foundation created by the people who live it everyday, and this is their opportunity to be recognized for it.
This year, the province is recognizing agricultural excellence in 11 categories:
- Excellence in Food Processing
- Excellence in Research and Innovation
- Women’s Excellence
- Youth Excellence
- Excellence in Agri-Food Education
- Northern Business Excellence
- Indigenous-Owned Business or Community Excellence
- Family Farm Excellence
- Agri-Food Promotional Excellence
- Supply Chain Excellence
- Excellence in Agri-Food Talent Recruitment
The Government of Ontario is committed to supporting the success of the agriculture and food industry and helping our rural communities thrive. Through this program, Ontario is celebrating local agri-food organizations, processors, youth, women, primary producers, Northern businesses, Indigenous businesses and communities, and agri-food businesses whose innovations are paving the way towards a more sustainable and lucrative agriculture and food industry.
- The program is accepting applications until September 14, 2023. Winners will be announced in November at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair.
- This initiative builds on the Grow Ontario Strategy’s goal to increase awareness and strengthen the agriculture and food sector.
SOURCE: Province of Ontario