Ontario Prioritizes In-Demand Programs for International Students Amid Federal Permit Cap

Photo: Jill Dunlop, Minister of Colleges and Universities

Toronto,  — Ontario has announced significant measures to prioritize international student study permit applications, focusing on programs essential to the province’s economic growth and workforce demands. The move comes in response to the federal government’s cap on international student permits over the next two years.

Jill Dunlop, Ontario’s Minister of Colleges and Universities, emphasized the importance of attracting top international talent to the province’s postsecondary institutions. “We are protecting the integrity of our province’s postsecondary education system by attracting the best and brightest international students to Ontario,” said Minister Dunlop.

Under the new allocation plan, 96% of permit applications will be directed towards publicly assisted colleges and universities, with the remaining 4% allocated to language schools, private universities, and other institutions. Notably, career colleges will not receive any applications under this scheme.

Applications will be prioritized based on critical sectors including skilled trades, health human resources, STEM fields, hospitality, and child care. The allocation criteria also ensure that permit levels do not exceed each institution’s 2023 levels and that the ratio of international permits remains within specified limits.

French-language enrolment will receive particular attention as the government aims to address the demand for workers with French-language skills in the labor market.

In addition to these measures, the Ontario government is taking steps to support international students’ well-being and experience. This includes ensuring housing options for incoming students and investing over $32 million to support mental health initiatives across postsecondary institutions.

Legislatively, the government has introduced the Strengthening Accountability and Student Supports Act, 2024, which aims to enhance student experiences, bolster mental health support, ensure campus safety, and increase transparency regarding fees.

However, the recent changes announced by the federal government will impact some international students. Starting May 15, 2024, international students beginning programs at publicly assisted colleges delivered through private partners will no longer be eligible for post-graduation work permits.

These measures collectively reflect Ontario’s commitment to aligning international student enrolment with the province’s economic needs while ensuring a positive educational experience for all students.

For more information on obtaining study permits in Ontario, prospective international students are encouraged to contact their admissions office or visit the Ministry of Colleges and Universities website.

The Ontario government continues to emphasize the importance of international talent in driving the province’s growth and innovation across various sectors, reinforcing its position as a welcoming destination for students from around the world.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.