|What Work is Taking Place?
Since February 2017, crews have been conducting support of excavation work, also known as shoring, at the Main Entrance of the future Mount Pleasant Station. The Main Entrance is located on the northwest corner of Eglinton Avenue East and Mount Pleasant Road.
Beginning as early as April 20, the work zone on the northwest corner will be expanded to provide more space to continue shoring at the Main Entrance.
Shoring is a common step in the process of constructing the foundation of a building. Steel piles, as well as braces and tie-backs, will be installed around the perimeter of the station to support excavation. Prior to installation of the piles, crews will construct a concrete guide wall on either side of the secant wall to ensure the alignment and verticality of the piles.
The entire shoring process for future Mount Pleasant Station will occur in phases and will take approximately 12.5 months to complete. Shoring at the Main Entrance will take approximately four (4) more weeks to complete.
- Work may occur between 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. seven days a week.
- The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours, but may do so at its discretion.
- Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
- In the event that overnight work is required, Metrolinx and CTS will notify the public in advance and monitor activities throughout.
What to Expect
- Noise in the area caused by a pile drill, crane, loaders, trucks and other construction equipment.
- Dust from drilling activity and debris removal can be expected.
- Truck traffic entering and exiting the work zone can be expected.
- In addition to construction activity, equipment and material storage within designated work zones.
- For safety purposes, metal fencing and concrete barriers have been erected around the work zone.
- For safety purposes, pedestrian traffic will be rerouted onto Mount Pleasant Road and Eglinton Avenue East, and separated from vehicular traffic with concrete barriers.
- Pedestrians may experience delays while construction vehicles enter and exit the work zone.
- The existing traffic conditions on Mount Pleasant Road will remain in effect
- Eglinton Avenue East will be reduced to one westbound lane on both sides of the intersection.
- Motorists may experience delays while construction vehicles enter and exit the work zone.
- As always, please take care when travelling near construction zones.
Leave a Reply