Province Making Commemorative Investment in all 24 Public Colleges to Improve Student Experience
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Ontario’s College System, the province is declaring April 3 to 9, 2017 as Colleges Week and is making a new investment in each of Ontario’s 24 publicly assisted colleges to enhance the student experience.
Deb Matthews, Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development, was at George Brown College in Toronto today to announce the $50-million investment in honour of the college system’s 50th anniversary, and mark the historic milestone.
The investment will support colleges in undertaking major initiatives that enhance student learning, such as the purchase of specialized software for teaching, new lab and shop equipment and technology to modernize existing classrooms and labs, facility retrofits, and other projects.
Part of the investment will also support the Northern Colleges Collaboration, a partnership between northern Ontario’s six public colleges–Boreal, Cambrian, Canadore, Confederation, Northern and Sault–to improve student access to education in the North.
Investing in postsecondary infrastructure is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is investing $48 million in capital funding for new equipment and learning resources and $2 million in the Northern Colleges Collaboration—a total of $50 million to mark the 50th anniversary.
- In September 2016, Colleges Ontario launched the Start of Something Amazing, a 15-month celebration of the college system’s 50th anniversary.
- In 2015-16, about 84 per cent of Ontario college graduates found work within six months of graduating.
- About 220,000 students are enrolled full time at Ontario’s 24 publicly assisted colleges.
- Ontario is making college and university tuition free for more than 210,000 students next year through the new Ontario Student Assistance Program. Applications are now open—visit Ontario.ca/OSAP to start your application today.
Photo from: www.amazing50.ca